Château Pédesclaux is a winery which forms part of the Paulliac AOC, listed as the fifth grand cru (great growth in French) in the Wines of Bordeaux of 1855. It is adjacent to the prestigious vineyards of Mouton Rothschild, Lafite-Rothschild and Lynch Bages. The renovation of the existing castle involves the creation of a new winery, 6,000 m 2 in size.
A glass extension will be added to each wing of the castle composed of five façades built on a metallic structure and using a double-glazed system. Research has been carried out, precisely on these bi-laminated glass panels, to find a deliberate tone in order to attain a clear colour.
The building envelope of the winery will include a translucent part and an opaque part. The upper part of the building will have a double-layered facing, finished off in a third architectonic layer. This decorative wall, in a corten steel colour and six metres in height, is formed by quite pronounced (20cm) vertical nerves, cut back and separated at intervals of two metres. The decorative facing will look like stripes, painted and superimposed onto the surface.
On the ground floor, a traditional curtain wall made of steel and 3.40 metres in height will open up the winery to natural light.